Skincare Steps: Cleanser
Your first step. Cleanser. Pretty simple, right? Well, if you're using cleanser with the crap we talked about in the first of our skincare series you're doing more harm than good. This might account for a tight feeling of skin after cleansing, dry spots, redness, and continuous acne. Facial cleansers are formulated with some crazy harsh things - especially those made for acne. They may clear away those white spots, but can dry out your skin and in the long run, contribute to even more breakouts. especially those formulated for acne, can sometimes be too harsh, drying out your skin and contributing to even more breakouts. We tested out a bunch of healthy, crap-chemical free alternatives and here are our faves.
How to use: Rub between hands. Do a nice little circular face massage. (Love yourself). Rinse off with warm water.
Andalou Naturals Apricot Probiotic Cleansing Milk
This cleanser is For Dry/Very Dry Skin. Especially amazing in the wintertime.
When you have sensitive and dry skin, the best thing to use is lait - aka cleansing milk, because it's gentle. Milk cleanser is very light and is made from fats and water. It's not actual milk, btw, vegan friends.This cleanser loosens and removes makeup and grime without drying out your skin and making it feel like itchy parchment. Yesss. (Not actual milk, by the way, vegan friends.)
- Apricot probiotics!
- Fruit stem cell complex: basically a futuristic skin reviving dream.
- Resveratrol: sounds scary but it isn't - it's some plant compound that acts as an antioxidant. The top food sources include red wine, grapes, some berries, and peanuts.
- CoQ10: Coenzyme Q10 is a type of antioxidant found throughout the body and there's less of it produced as we get older, so this is a boost. #extra #inagoodway
NON-GMO, 98% Nature derived, Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Cruelty-Free. $12.95
Yes, cleansing milk again, because it's gentle and good for all types of delicate, sensitive skin. And oily skin. And normal skin. Basically, pretty perfect. Especially eczema-prone, irritated skin. It makes your face feel both clean and soothed. It's especially good for delicate city skin, you city foxes. We want to bathe in this one, especially after a day of errands in the city in August. Oof.
- Fennel Seed Extract: de-stresses skin by dealing with harmful pollution bits that are all over your skin and damage your skin.
- Omega 3 and 7: calm and essentially restore dry, tight skin.
- Calendula Oil: healing and soothing. Mmm.
Cruelty-free, Vegan, Noncomedogenic, Gluten-Free $28
So...we fought over this one after we tried it for one week. It smells like sweet strawberry summer dreams and brightens your skin without it feeling tight and scrubbed. Instead, skin feels firm. Thanks tomatoes. Its great for Oily, Dry, Combination, Normal, Sensitive, Acne-Prone, Mature Skin. P.S. if you leave this on for 5-10 minutes, it acts like a face clearing/exfoliating mask. #hack
- Lycopene (from tomatoes): strengthens your skin by hindering enzyme activity involved in the breakdown of collagen.
- Hydrolyzed wheat protein: pore minimizer which provides the porcelain feel. #flawless
Contains gluten $32